Thursday, December 31, 2009
(BTW, I'm wearing my fabulous purple Malabrigo Clapotis and working on a knitted cover for my Kindle)(I'm making up the Kindle cover pattern as I go, I'll post it when I'm done)(So there, knitting content! LOL)
Monday, December 28, 2009
Also, Santa was pretty darn good to us this year. I got this strobe for my SeaLife DC800 for our trip, a Kindle, an electric kettle, and a MacBook(!!!). Totally shocked about the Macbook, Jeff had asked his mom for a laptop for Christmas, so we could keep in touch with everyone while we're gone. BTW, is Skype not the coolest thing ever!? Anyway, we were expecting like a $300 inexpensive laptop, that didn't do much of anything except get on WiFi, and she gets us a MacBook!! Don't get me wrong, that's what we would have eventually got ourselves, but we did NOT expect her to get us one. She did say that this was the last present we would be getting for birthdays, holidays and such for the next couple of years! LOL!
Unfortunately, Santa also brought me a cold, blah. But, I'll take it cause everyone was so generous to us with their gift giving this year, it seems only right I've got to take a little bit of bad with a LOT of good!
Other things going on:
- I have my first Scuba student! My best friend Dani, is well on her way to being a certified Open Water Diver. We got all of her pool skills done this week and she is studying the book. She'll take the test next time she's in town, and we'll do her open water dives when it gets warmer this summer. It was really a lot of fun, and I'm glad my first student was my best friend. Took a lot of the anxiety out of it!!
- We leave for Indonesia in 2 weeks! So the packing and stressing has begun for that. I'm just now starting to feel a little nervous for the trip, it's a LOOONNGG way away! But so excited, I can't believe we're getting to go to the other side of the world a second time! Sorry for all of the exclamation points, but I am crazy excited!
Think that's all for now
Thursday, December 17, 2009
This is me! I just like this picture for the colors and my expression. One of the few pictures of myself that I like. I think I'm terribly un-photogenic.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Oh, and we're going to go see "New Moon" on Saturday-yay!
Now back to the regularly scheduled blog post, sorry for the silly Twilight interruption. :-)
Well, I'm still knitting Christmas gifts, and someday, I might actually take pictures! It's just hard when you've worked all day, it's dark when you get home, then you have to think about dinner and laundry and cleaning. By the time I'm done, it's usually 6:30-7 and I just want to plop down in the recliner, knit or read and talk to my husband. Then there's always stuff going on on the weekends. I'll get around to it one of these days. Probably.
Oh! I wanted to mention that we got our ipods fixed! This is a big deal because a.)we love our ipods and b.)one has been broken for over a year, and the other one for about 6 months. We are super excited to get them back in working order. I found a site online: Repair Guys that you can send them your ipod for a free diagnostic (you just pay the shipping to them), they tell you what's wrong with it and how much it will cost to fix it. If you agree to the repair, they fix it, send you a PayPal invoice, and send it back to you. It was so easy! It cost like 7 bucks to ship (that was with $200 insurance), and $140 for a new LCD screen, hard drive and battery for one and a battery for the other. And they did all of the labor, and shipped it back. I sent them out and got them back in less than 2 weeks! So I HIGHLY recommend their services if you need an ipod fixed. K, that's my consumer report for the week!
Monday, December 7, 2009
Anyway, sorry for such a morose entry. It started out teasingly that I have a ton of knitting WIPs, and went to a psychoanalysis on myself. Eh, it happens.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
- I hate when my pant legs get wet. Today is worse though, I have wool pants on, and now I smell like a wet sheep. Sweet.
- Why am I hungry again!? I ate a butt-load of protein for lunch, at 1:45, its only 3:15!!
- I don't deal with being hungry very well, I get cranky.
- Work is also ticking me off. Why can't people just respond to emails the first time? No, it apparently takes 3 to get anything accomplished.
- No, I didn't work out last night, and I folded like wet cardboard and got freaking Wendy's for dinner on the way home. I couldn't resist the call of the Bacon Deluxe, I'm weak.
- That's it, I'm going for chocolate.
- Mmmm, all better.
- I'm totally working out tonight though!
- Everything's better with bullet points, dontcha think?
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
- Working out: I was running, and was building my strength and endurance. I was running 3-4 times a week for about 4 weeks, then I tore my quad. Couldn't run for 2 weeks, so I got lazy, and hadn't worked out until last night. Had a little bit of a headache, and it was raining, so I did one of the more strenuous yoga workouts, and I can definitely feel it in my muscles today, so that's a good thing! Plan to either run or do the Jillian Michaels DVD tonight depending on the weather.
- Knitting/crafting: We're now into the Christmas crafting season, so I have a butt-load of projects all going on at once, but no pics! I'm working on mittens for a friend, 3 (or more) pairs of felted slippers for family. Not to mention the couple of things that are languishing on the needles for myself. On the positive side, I've finished several projects; 2 Clapotis', one for me and one for my mother-in-law, my Monkey socks, well, I think that's it... Also on the crafting front, I want to make homemade scented bath salts for family and maybe sew a couple of bags too. We'll see how well I do! (FYI, all the knitted project info is on my Ravelry project page )
- Dogs: Well, we're now a one dog household. We said goodbye to the old man Dexter on October 30th, 2009. His quality of life was steadily declining, he was really starting to struggle to catch his breath, and we made the decision that it was time. We will always miss him, and it is certainly quieter around the house without him. Murphy has done well adapting, she's more spoiled than ever (thanks to the husband!) and we can now get a puppy fix at Jeff's mom and stepdad's house. They got a 13 week old chocolate labradoodle about 3 weeks ago, and she is super cute! She loves Murphy so much, but Murphy is not so sure about this crazy little thing that keeps stealing her toys! It's pretty funny to watch, especially since it wasn't so long ago that Murphy was that crazy little toy-stealer!
- And Diving!: I am officially a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor!! I took my Instructor Development Course in August and September, and passed my Instructor Exam October 18th. It was stressful, but an awesome accomplishment and I am just thrilled! Of course, there's not much teaching to be done in the winter, but I have several people lined up for spring when the water starts warming up, so I'm very excited! Also, we have booked a big trip coming up soon in January. We're going to Indonesia to dive! I'm pretty excited about that too if you can't tell!! We leave January 10, will be spending a day and a half in Singapore on the way there, and then onto Manado, North Sulawesi for 7 days of diving around Bunaken island. Then we head to the East side of the island to dive Lembeh Strait for 5 more days! It should be absolutely amazing! We'll be gone 17 days, which is crazy, but we are so excited! We are waist deep in the preparations, everything is booked but there's just so much to plan for. We went to the Travel Medicine Clinic at OSU to get vaccinations and prescriptions and info for going to the other side of the world, so we're getting there, but there's still so much to buy and pack.
Well that's a good catch up, be back soon!
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Hopefully I'll feel like posting from home soon, with pictures, just haven't felt like it when I get home.
- My grandfather passed away May 21, 2009.
- We almost lost our old dog Dexter 4 days before that.
- I planted a garden this year and just harvested spinach from it last night.
- We leave for Florida to go cavern diving for 3 days and reef diving on the Gulf for 2 days.
- In knitting news, June is officially Finish My UFO's month: finished a washcloth that has been sitting in my basket since December; February Lady sweater just needs buttons, ends woven in and washed/blocked.
- I've been reading like a fiend for some reason lately, finished Sarah's Key in 2 days and The Time Traveller's Wife in 5, now I'm a hundred pages into The Historian.
- My co-worker was fired yesterday, meaning work is going to be stressful for a while.
- We've dove a couple of times, but nothing super exciting, and no pictures.
- Obscene amounts of caffeine is the only thing getting me through the work day.
- I haven't been working out. At all.
- That's all for now
Monday, June 8, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Good example of the great viz:
Jeff in front of the staircase in the crusher pit:
Jeff demonstrating how to silt up the quarry with the sea scooter:
Me hanging out on our safety stop:
We also went mushroom hunting Friday evening and today, with no luck. We're looking for morels, a delicious springtime treat! They're the only mushrooms that I really like. We go out at my grandparents' house, who have a couple hundred wooded acres. Last year was a great year, we probably found about 50 or so. I gorged myself on them and still gave a bunch away. Even though we didn't find any, a walk in the woods is always a good time. I just want to know why EVERYTHING is covered with thorns! I ripped a big hole in my jeans and scratched up my arms today. Oh well, maybe later this week we'll get some!
Monday, April 6, 2009
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Thursday, March 26, 2009
On a good note, I got a delicious lunch from Noodles and Company. Japanese Pan Noodles with Sauteed Beef, yum! I don't know if it's good or bad that food is one of the few bright spots in today. I guess you gotta find joy in the small things... :-)
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Also, I'm cracking down on the Divemaster studying. I've got to get the book read and the tests taken. I still have the watermanship skills and the 4 confined water dives to do too. Thankfully the weather is getting warmer and I'll be more motivated since we'll be diving more. We've convinced our neighbors J & V to get certified and took them to Scubafest this past weekend to get them in the pool for a Discover Scuba session. V's not really sure about it, but J is really going to do well I think. V just needs some more pool time to get comfortable breathing underwater. We're humans, we're not supposed to breathe underwater, of course it's going to be awkward at first!
I swam at the rec center again today, man that's a workout! I did 550 meters in about 30 minutes. I'm so out of shape! I've been running too, and trying to watch my diet, but I'm just not cut out for dieting. I don't have the willpower, and I like ice cream too much!
Well, I need to go read before the husband gets home. I'm going to take advantage of the empty house!
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Swin Plan, you sign up for this website and enter some information about your level of swimming abilities and it will build a custom workout plan for you! Cool!
Since it's raining, and I don't have workout clothes, I will be working out at home tonight with this video: Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred
The first time I did it, it was way harder than I expected it to be, but, it's getting easier. I'm also starting the 200 Sit-ups program. Yeah, I get bored easily. I've just got to get my butt into shape! Once the weather starts warming up, I've got to get out there and get my divemaster swimming done so I can get my instructor done by the end of the summer.
I've done better with the diet than I usually do, but I'm just not cut out for dieting. I like junk food too much and I have no willpower. But, when I weighed myself on Monday, I had lost 2 pounds! So I'm happy with that. And I haven't given up yet on it and said screw it I'm eating McDonalds for breakfast Wendy's for lunch, Taco Bell for dinner and topping it off with ice cream. Okay, so maybe I'm not THAT bad, at least with the fast food. But I loves me some fast food...mmm, Frosty...
BTW, the diet I'm following is the ABS DIET POWER food diet.
T-Turkey and other lean meats
E-Extra Protein-in the form of whey protein powder
R-Raspberries and other berries
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
Anywho, so, about me. My name is Heather, I've been married to my pretty super husband Jeff since October 2004. We have 2 dogs, Dexter, a 14 year old golden retriever/yellow lab mix and Murphy, a 3 and a half year old crazy chocolate lab. Obviously, I love to knit and scuba dive. I don't have nearly enough time for either of them since I work full time for a large corporation. As for the knitting, here's my Ravelry page to see what I'm working on. And as for the diving, I'm pretty much obsessed. I've completed my advanced and rescue diver certifications, and I'm about halfway through my PADI Divemaster. I hope to have my Instructor cert by the end of this summer. In June, I will have only been certified as an Open Water Diver for 2 years. Oh, and we love to travel, but don't have the time or money to do it as often as we would like. More about that in later posts.
I suppose that's a good start for the first post. Talk to you soon!