Friday, February 5, 2010

The White Death is Coming!!

So, we're supposed to get a pretty good snowstorm over the next day. It's 11am and it's actually already snowing out there, schools are announcing early releases. We're supposed to get between 4-8 inches, maybe up to a foot in the outlying areas. My only complaint is that it's starting in the middle of the work day and I'm going to have to drive home during rush hour in it. At least I have 4 wheel drive on my jeep though.
I personally like snow, and would rather look at snow than the gray everything that Ohio calls weather the rest of the 6 months of winter. Also, it means we'll have a snow day tomorrow at home! I'll get to do fun stuff like cook and knit and drink tea! And yes, the whole ambitious and motivated streak continues. 3 nights ago, I made a cake, not from scratch, but it still counts! Then 2 nights ago, I made some really good chicken enchiladas and my Dabu-Dabu sauce. The sauce turned out pretty good, very similar to a salsa at first, but then I stuck it in the blender and made it more of a sauce. Good stuff, definitely will make it again, and probably soon, cause I still have all of the ingredients! Here are the recipes:
Chicken Enchiladas
1-1 1/2 lbs cooked and shredded chicken (I just boiled it)
flour tortillas
can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 C plain yogurt or sour cream
can of tomatoes with green chiles, drained
2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chipotle powder
dash of cayenne
very small dash of cinnamon
shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While chicken is cooking, mix soup, yogurt, canned tomatoes, and spices. Drain chicken, cool and shred, mix with filling. Fill tortillas with mixture, top with a little cheese before rolling and placing in large baking dish. If there is any extra filling after you use all of the tortillas, you can just slap it on the top. Then top everything with as much cheese as you want. Bake until melty and bubbly, about a 30-45 minutes. Serve with your choice of taco toppings.

Dabu-Dabu Sauce (Indonesian hot sauce)
Several chile peppers-I used 2 serrano chiles (they were the hottest I could find this time of year), seeded and diced very fine
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped fine
4 shallots, chopped fine
juice of 1 lime (about 3 tbsp)
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients. We put ours immediately on the enchiladas, but it's better after it sits about a day. The next day I popped it in the blender so it's more of a sauce instead of a salsa. Good stuff if you like it hot! Those chiles are no joke!!

No comments:

Post a Comment