Saturday, February 20, 2010

When did this turn into a cooking blog?

So, I am still on my cooking and baking jag, and I don't think my husband has any complaints!  The other night I made this awesome black beans and rice recipe that I hadn't made in forever and it was so good (recipe below).  I could literally enjoy eating it for days on end, but it only lasted for lunch the next day!  Weird how that happens sometimes, huh?  I've made Smitten Kitchen's Blondies twice, with walnuts and chocolate chips, and my husband has requested those again.  I made these Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk cookies to rave reviews, mostly mine, since anything with bananas in them, wins.  And tonight I made Smitten Kitchen's snickerdoodles, wow, are they amazing!  They'd better be though with 2 sticks of butter!  They're so good that I told Jeff that he was lucky I liked him, cause I might eat them for every meal otherwise.  Yes, they are that good.

Black Beans and Rice (originally from a veggie cookbook from my MIL)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 med carrot, finely chopped
1 med celery stalk, finally chopped
4 med or 2 lg garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp minced fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp dry oregano
Tabasco sauce to taste (start with a few shakes to 1 tsp)
2 cups/1 can vegetable broth
2 15 oz cans or 1 cup dried (soaked and cooked) black beans
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper, plus 1 tbsp adobo sauce from can
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
cooked white rice

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add carrot, onion and celery (I also added a finely diced serrano pepper, you could use any kind of hot pepper), and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and Tabasco sauce, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, chipotle pepper and sauce, bay leaf and salt to taste, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened but still brothy, about 15 min. Remove and discard the bay leaf and chipotle pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve over hot rice or refrigerate in airtight container for several days.

 Oh, and in case you're wondering about my Ravelympics project, I discovered that I do not have size 10.5 DPNs and thus have not been able to start the sleeves.  So, tomorrow, I am headed to my MIL's house to borrow her set.  I haven't worked on it since... Thursday I think, so I've got some catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment